Thursday, March 21, 2019
3.21 World Down syndrome Day!
There are times I really really dislike Down syndrome. I hate that I have to get Gabe’s blood drawn once a year to make sure he doesn’t have leukemia. I hate that his tone is so poor that his gait is unsteady when he runs and it’s hard to keep up with friends. I hate that he gets frustrated when he stutters because he can’t get all that he wants to say out easily. I hate sleep apnea and potentially having to desensitize my kid to a CPAP mask. I hate that it takes him twice as much effort to get things down when it comes easier to a typical kid. I hate that I’m constantly taking him to therapy. I hate that I find myself getting judgy… Or maybe jealous.., of other parents when I hear them complain about having to take their kid to an extra baseball tournament b/c it’s just too busy. I hate when people judge my parenting and Gabe’s ability. I hate constantly wondering if I’m doing enough. I hate writing this and thinking that I complain too much and then feeling guilty.
There are other times when I really really love Down syndrome. I love uncontrollable laughing at the silliest things. I love being greeted when I come to the door with full excitement. I love that he says I love you and gives me a kiss every night before bed. I love celebrating every success and valuing every milestone. I love the comradery in the community. I love the fact that he counts stairs when he goes up and down because that’s what kids who go to therapy do. I love that everyone is a friend. I love that other kids try harder b/c Gabe tries hard every day. I love how he senses emotions at such a deep level. I love that he changes people. I love when he says “I did it!” I love everything about Gabe. It’s hard to tell what’s a DS trait and what’s a Gabe trait b/c it’s all combined in some ways. I guess I love all things DS too then. I certainly celebrate it. The celebration is much greater than any negativity I have towards it. What I dislike is - hardship. But hardship presents itself to everyone in different ways. Maybe hardship is something to embrace as well. I actually think DS saved us. It saved us from selfishness, impatience, and being uptight. It makes us be more empathetic, congratulatory and inclusive. It helps our marriage and family grow together. It makes us better in every way.
As I’ve said many times before..,never give up on Gabe! Happy Down Syndrome day! Wear those crazy socks! Guess who wanted bare feet?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.