Thursday, June 18, 2009

People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one, and we've just begun, I think I'm going to have a son...

So there was no fluid around the heart, just the abdomen. That could mean 3 things:
1. It's nothing and will go away
2. It's a lymph fluid issue that is rare, but seen occasionally in baby's with Down Syndrome, that requires no treatment, just monitoring and he may have a big belly
3. It's a sign of GI infection in which case, the baby could develop distress and my placenta becomes unsafe and my B/P goes up requiring quick delivery.

So basically, they have no clue. I'll be getting weekly non-stress tests and 4D ultrasounds at the Perinatologist. Depending on the baby's abdominal fluid level and activity, they will monitor closely when he's better out than in. If the fluid increases and is concerning, I'll deliver at Good Sam where they have a high level nursery. It's just one more thing to worry about. I'm tired.

I'm reading the book "Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives". One of the chapter's says, "This baby, who was fighting for his existance, was a part of me. If he could fight to survive, then surely I could fight through my fear and anxiety to find the answers to help him".

1 comment:

  1. Hello there, I am the author of Chapter four in Gifts. I just wanted to stop by and say hello.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.