Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What about Gabe?











It's been awhile since I posted. Gabe had his immuni-zations last Thursday and he was so fussy for 2 full days afterwards. It was a little discouraging b/c he didn't want to play much or reach for rattles or lay on his belly...just be held while mommy bounced him. He has been pretty happy and smiled alot the past 2 days which has made me feel much better. We have been doing core and shoulder strengthening exercises that the Occupation Therapist recommended. She told me today that he is very delayed with his motor skills...about a 1 month level. This was very hard to hear, but then I remind myself that he did have open heart surgery 2 months ago and he was in a hospital bed for 3 out of the first 4 months of his life. I should give the little guy a break. If I think about everything he's doing since he came home from the hospital, I feel more encouraged. He doesn't seem too far off socially or cognatively. He communicates well with his smiles and cooing and pouty face. His abs, shoulders, and pecs are just really weak. The good news is, the muscles in his mouth are getting stronger. We massage his gums and face and just today, we started tastes of rice cereal. Gabe loves it! We want to make these initial tastes as positive an experience as possible and not force anything to make Gabe unhappy with feeding. We just rest the spoon on his bottom lip and let him lick it in his mouth. You really have to fight the temptation to give him a whole spoonfull right in his mouth.....as Bob would say...we're baby stepping.






3 comments:

  1. dont worry about him being behind. he will get there!!! i think he is doing great and he is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabe is a fighter, and with time and exercise he'll grow in strength. He needed those first months to get his ticker taken care of, and for the sleep apnea to get caught. Keep up your spirits. You all are doing a great job!!! (hugs). Let me know when (if the grandparents ever allow it...) I can have a shot at babysitting that cutie!! Been thinking of you all lately. We may be moving in about a month to a nicer place up here - perhaps we can have you three over for dinner then :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that he is feeling better. Congrats on the eating of cereal!!! Don't feel discouraged he has been through a lot. He will get it at his own time. Wysdom is just starting to sit now. I just posted about this exact thing a little while ago. Our litte guys have been through so much that they don;t have the same time to do activities as other children do. Wysdom also has week arms, but he is getting stronger with work. I have faith that Gabe will pull through and show them all what he can do!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.