I caught him mid laugh.
Gabe is doing good. Finally have a little bit of the bathroom stuff under control. His stomach hurts at times, but otherwise pain has been under control too. His posture is a bit better when walking. He’s doing the OT activities the best he can to help with shoulder and neck movement. He’s tired a lot, napping about three times a day. Healing takes energy. We start his medication taper today so we’ll see how he does as we back off on things. I took his bandage off today. His scar is massive but looks good. I had to reinforce one spot and he still has to hold off on showering till I talk to the nurse about it tomorrow, but I’m pleased with how it’s healing. Gabe’s surgery was one week ago. I’m in awe with how the body heals and adapts. It really is amazing on how far he’s come in one week. I talk very freely about pee, poop, pain, wounds, etc. It’s the nurse in me. I’m constantly assessing him to get an idea on how he’s doing since he may not have the communication to exactly articulate it. What I’ve not done is posted some of the harder pictures. We are willing to share those though if anyone’s interested. I just don’t want to do it on a social platform, even with privacy settings. If we’re in person and you want to see a pic from ICU or a pic of the incision, feel free to ask. Seeing those from other parents who’s kid had gone through the same surgery was quite helpful in preparing.
What we need: cards! Send all the cards. Silly ones that play music, have dogs or babies on them, fart jokes, or animals with googly eyes. Send us all the cards! Don’t know Gabe that well, but love following his story? No problem… send him a card that just says “good job” or “we’re cheering for you”. My plan is for Gabe to walk outside and check the mail every day as part of motivation to move. I think he’ll totally get into it
Enjoy the long weekend! Thank you friends!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.