Wednesday, August 5, 2009

update

We're still in Cardiac ICU. Gabe has shown some improvement over the last day or two. The big question is why is all of this happening so soon. He has pulmonary hypertension and leaky valves in his heart. The surgery could help with this some. More concerning are his ventricles. The bottom half of his heart is not pumping efficiently and we don't know why. They're trying a medly of medications to help with this. All of the stuff we're seeing is not typical of an AV canal. They usually have gradual work of the heart, not suddenly like Gabe. Speech and OT came by today and tried giving him a bottle. While his oxygen sats stayed high during the feeds, his work of breathing increased and he started turning mottled (kinda blotchy looking). They decided to put an NG tube in (feeding tube). They are also giving him some blood to help with his labs. They might do a cardiac cath to check on pulmonary hypertension to see best treatment. A care conference is planned for Friday to review all the information and see the best course of action. He is looking better, his monitor is alarming less, and he is getting nutrition now which are all positives. The Chaplain is working on getting a priest available to Baptize him here at the hospital in the next couple days. Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Justin and Gabe - you are in my thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are all in my prayers. I'm hoping to call and see if there is absolutely anything I can do to help. Much love and many blessings - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I found your blog. I have a little one who has been through AV Canal surgery. We'll be praying for Gabe...
    J & M - Just to let you know, there have been some recent studies showing OHS (open heart surgery) for AV Canal on babies has about the same results as long as the surgery is done after about 6 pounds, I think, so the magic 10 pounds is not necessarily magic anymore. But it sounds like Gabe is not presenting with a "typical" AV Canal anyway.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. I just found your blog and see that Gabe is going through a hard time. My son had his AV Canal done OHS on May 27th. We had our share of complications and are now home. We had problems with pressure and infections. I wrote a section about ohs and hospitals on my blog. Take care and wishing your family strength and wishing for Gabes health to improve.

    August 6, 2009 1:26 PM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, just wanted you to know that despite out own journey with Jenna, you have been in our thoughts. I didn't learn 'til recently that Gabe was having troubles. You are all in our prayers now. We are on 6ASouth if you are interested in chatting or want some company. YOU let me know. I would love to finally meet you in person(636-1655 or you can contct us through jennahail.blogspot) Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and may God grant you HIS strength and HIS peace. Missy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.