Thursday, September 24, 2009
1 week
Even though we had some Gtube troubles last night, Gabe is continuing to do well. He's bulking up with the continuous feeds and is breathing well with the high flow oxygen. They did draw some labs and his TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level was elevated. They are waiting for addtional thyroid labs to come back, but they went ahead and started him on medication for it. Down Syndrome babies are at higher risk for thyroid disease. We'll see if the other labs come back confirming the diagnosis. Gabe is in a very good mood today...too cute. I'll take pictures later. Surgery is officially confirmed for next Thursday, Oct.1 with Dr.Manning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Michelle, you and Justin are doing such a great job! Gabe is a very lucky man to call you two mommy and daddy! I am so glad his GT was okay last night...whew. I love you guys :) I am praying that his heart surgery goes smoothly, his lungs magically heal and you guys can finally come home. How ironic is it that while Gabe is in surgery, everyone will be thinking of the little man while eating at Max and Erma's to support him? I think this is a sign that little man is going to pull through with flying colors! How could he not with so much love and support? Give him a kiss for me and tell him I'll come see him soon.
ReplyDeleteHi Justin and Michelle! We have been keeping up on Gabe through the blog. Wish so much that we could see the little guy but with the kids at school and passing around germs plus with the new limitations for visitors at Children's we know we can't see him right now. We just wanted you to know that we are thinking of and praying for you every day.
ReplyDeleteLove you all, Michelle, Ryan, Brandt, Blaire and Rylann
I think it's time to just breathe. And call when you realize that you need something. We're thinking about you guys all the time! I'm around and mostly unemployed, so let me know if you need anything at anytime!
ReplyDeleteHey, Michelle. You're doing great keeping up with all of the medical schtuff. Here's something to keep in your hip pocket if Gabe ends up on synthroid. Micah has hypothyroidism and takes synthroid. Most endocrinologists will tell you that there isn't a good suspension version of this medication and they require to to split a pill in half, crush it, and mix it with juice or water to administer it through the G-tube. It's quite a pain, really. But... find a good pharmacist who compounds medications (you'll be dealing with one for the captopril, or whatever heart med he's on post-op). Ask said pharmacist to look into an oil-based suspension of synthroid. Our pharmacist found a recipe and it works like a charm... much easier than the pill-crushing.
ReplyDelete