Monday, August 31, 2009
Gabe just can't stay away from his second home.
We're back in the hospital. Gabe looked great last Wed. and Cardiology said they would see us in 2 weeks. On Thursday, he started having some upper airway congestion. The Pediatrician told me he may sound congested from time to time due to his narrow nasal passages. The home health nurse came that evening and said he seemed fine. On Saturday I started getting a little concerned. His retractions became a little more pronounced. His lungs were clear, no temperature, good color, good cap refill and he was playful. He started nasal flaring Saturday night and I started to worry. I thought I'd watch him close and maybe call Monday. On Sunday morning he started looking pale. Still no temperature, typical intake and output, lungs clear, labored breathing continued, nasal flaring had stopped. I talked to some other nurse's to get their opinion b/c sometimes my mom judgement clouds my nursing judgement. He continued to act himself, so I decided to keep watching him close and call Cardiology first thing Monday morning. Sunday evening during feeding, he looked really red faced. When we were securing the tape on his NG tube, he started crying really hard and looked a little purple-ish around his lips. That was the final straw and we brought him to the ED. When we got here, he was looking great and his O2 sat was in the 90's. I think Justin (and myself) thought I over reacted again. As they were getting ready to discharge us, Gabe was sucking on his pacifier and desated to the 70's. They decided to watch him during a feeding and he desated to the 60's. That bought us an admission. Since then, he's been on oxygen. He's on 3/4 a liter and is holding steady in the upper 80's to 90's. They're trying to ween him, but haven't had much luck yet. I'm glad I stayed on top of it and caught it pretty early. I wonder if he had a brief desat 2 weeks ago when I rushed him to the ED and he ended up being fine. They did a nasal swab to see if he has a virus. I don't know how he could have a virus...we don't take him anywhere and we wash our hands like crazy. They're having speech work with us and making notes if he desats with feeding or refluxing to see if there may be a slight aspiration component that didn't show on the video swallow study. They did another Echo to look at his pulmonary hypertension and left ventricular shunting. We're waiting for all these results to come back. Gabe seems very worn out today. He still looks pale. He desated to the 60's today while feeding, turned a little dusky and then recovered, and that was with 3/4 liter O2. Poor little guy. He looked great 5 days ago and things were on the up and up. 2 steps forward...5 steps backwards...this is getting old.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm thinking about you all and wishing you the best. If there is ever anything I can do, let me know.
ReplyDeleteHang in there. I know it's hard being back in the hospital..but at least they can check out why he's desating. My little guy used to desat a lot too and do lots of retracting. It's scary sometimes. Praying for you guys and wihsing the best and hope you are home again,soon. (((hugs)))
ReplyDelete