Monday, September 21, 2009

The big day!

I had a mini meltdown during rounds this morning. I just got so frustrated with Pulmonary and Cardiology not talking to each other. I cried alot. I think it was my first test in advocating for the little guy. They finally arranged for a meeting with everyone today and the decision was made to repair Gabe's little heart next week. That's right! The big heart surgery next week....I think mommy needs a shot of tequilla to calm down. He does have lung disease due to the pulmonary hypertension and fluctuating oxygen saturations. They plan to do a high resolution CT when Gabe is intibated before surgery to get a clearer picture of the extent. They are expecting his recovery to be longer than the typical AV Canal. After the heart is repaired, they'll begin to look at his airway issues and see how they are affecting his oxygenation. They will be deciding soon who will be doing the surgery and the exact day. We'll meet with the surgeons this week. Everyone think good thoughts!

Side note* Children's implemented visitor restrictions due to cold/flu season. No more than 2 people in a room and limited to Caregivers only. I'll keep the pictures and updates coming though so everyone knows how he looks and how things are going,

5 comments:

  1. Meltdowns often help. :-)
    Seriously, ask for a Care Conference whenever you want. They're there for Gabe (and you). And if you ever feel like you aren't getting the answers you want, spend some time with Patient Care.

    That's exciting that you have a surgery date. Micah's surgery day was a rough one and he was discharged on day 20 (I get jealous hearing of other kids going home on day 5, 7, 10, etc.). Email if you want details.

    You're doing great, Michelle. And Gabe is simply precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are finally coming together. And I'm glad I got to spend some time with you guys this weekend. Tell him I miss him and I'm currently working on a CD for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my fair share of melt downs. I think it comes with this whole journey. I will be praying for Gabe during his surgery and hope he surprises everone and gets discharged early!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I had many meltdowns in three different hospitals in three different nicu's. They usually were turning points in our journey and had somewhat good outcomes, even though it was stressful for me. That's right mama..you are the advocate and you have to fight for the right things to be done. Way to go! Glad to hear that the different specialist will be communicating with each other. Sending lot of hugs and prayers for the upcoming surgery. Let's pray for a smooth recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, although this can be scary, it's so good to hear that things are moving along! You are such a great, strong mom! Not sure when I will be back to visit, but I will see you when I do!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.