



Pulmonary came by and talked to Justin and I yesterday about some options in treating Gabe's tracheo malacia. The first option is to use forced air to keep the floppy airway open. This can be done with high flow air through a nasal canual or CPAP. Only problem is, you can't go home on high flow and the smallest CPAP device they make for home use is for 6 month olds, and it's not a guarantee to work. The second option is a surgical procedure (very long name supra glota plasty something or other) which basically means they would scrape away the tissue that keeps collapsing in his airway. A potential problem with this is that it only works when the collapse of the airway is in a specific part or if collapses a certain way. The doctors will be reviewing his scope to see if he is a candidate for this. The third option is a trach...we all know how I feel about those. Cardiology, Cards Surgery and Pulm are all going to talk either tomorrow or Tuesday to figure out if his heart should be fixed first or his airway. What a rollercoaster all this is. It's been pretty quiet around here this weekend. Gabe enjoyed the Bengals game today much more than last week's game.
Those eyes are so big! And I love his hair!
ReplyDeleteHopefully he is a candidate for the surgery. Wow this is a lot for you all to go through. I am thinking about you and praying that you get some good news. I love the pictures of Gabe in all of his bright sunny colours. Soooo cute. Big {{hugs}} to you.
ReplyDeleteOh I love the outfit!! I'm hoping that the doctors can figure something out other than the trach. He is looking great though for everything he is going through. Darn cute!!
ReplyDelete