Gabe and I had a discussion at about 4am this morning. I was rocking him and telling him all the reasons why he needed to get better so we could go home. I told him about his fish cave (baby einstein gym), animal mobile, walks in the stroller, evenings on the deck, etc....I hope it works. The impedence study didn't really show a correlation between his reflux and oxygen saturations. I don't really buy it though and neither does the doctor. They put an NJ in and he seems much more comfortable. Pulmonary thinks he sounds a little course in his lung bases and think his chest xray looks viral. ENT wants to rule out floppy airway as the potential reason for the oxygen desaturations. They will be doing a double scope together next weeks to check it all out. Sedation makes me a little nervous, but I know they need all the info they can get. He is still requiring 1/8 to 1/4L of oxygen. We tried no oxygen yesterday and he lasted about 3 hours before he started hanging out at 70%. They may also do a sleep study next week to look at apnea. As far as the blood in his stool goes, GI did a barium enema to rule out Hirschprungs (sp?). It came back inconclusive. Since switching to the Alimentum, Gabe hasn't really had any blood in his stools. They're leaning towards it being just a milk protein sensitivity which babies often outgrow. I can deal with that. The doc told me that if after a week, I notice blood in his stool again, to call him and they'll do a biopsy of his GI tract if necessary. It's kind of just a waiting game to collect as much data as possible. The weekend will probably be slow.
Justin and I met with the First Steps Coordinator on Thursday. I also met the director of the Thomas Center for Down Syndrome yesterday. I felt better after talking to both of them. I know this is a hard stretch for us and they say the first year is the most difficult. It's good to know that Gabe will be in good hands with these services.
Gabe is so close to smiling. He loves to play "So Big"...it cracks me up.
Gabe needs to listen to his mother and get better so he can play in the fish cave! Still thinking good thoughts for you guys. I hope you're doing okay and getting plenty of rest, etc.
ReplyDeleteCome on Gabe..we want you home. We are in our first year and it has been hard for us and busy...but we also have had lost of joys and smile. Hang in there and hopefully they will get some things resloved after the weekdend is over. I used to dislike weekends because you are right..it is slow. Praying for good new this week. Sending you a big HUG!:)
ReplyDelete