Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When are we getting out of here?




...I wish I knew. I feel like I'm getting lost with the ENT and Pulmonary consults. Pulmonary were not able to round on Gabe till 6:30pm. I was at home b/c I had a massive headache and needed a break. My mom was at the hospital and gave them the questions I had written down. They called me back at 8:30pm. Justin was at the hospital at that time, but I guess they weren't on our floor when they returned the call. I had all sorts of questions and their answers were a little confusing to me. It's hard to differentiate what is Pulm and what is ENT. Basically, Gabe has tracheomalacia (floppy airway). He also has swollen tissue from the reflux. They are waiting to see the swelling go away to see if they need to do anything with the floppy airway. Swelling takes 2-3 weeks to go away and I don't want to be here that long. They will probably do a repeat sleep study with oxygen or CPAP to see what works for him at night. We will go home with continuous feeds that we will eventually be able to window and transition to bolus feeds in 2-3 weeks. They just rounded on him and our goals are to get him off oxygen during the day, oxygen or CPAP at night and tollerate feedings while gaining weight. They are going to present him at the Cardiology conference on Friday and schedule his surgery for 4-8 weeks from now.


Even though we have been in the hospital 38 of the last 75 days, we are doing okay. On Monday, Child Life brought over a family to meet Gabe (with our permission). Their child was born in July with a single chambered heart. He has already had 2 surgeries and will be getting his third in November. They have been here for 90 days and are living at Ronald McDonald House...puts life in perspective.

7 comments:

  1. He is a gorgeous little guy! We have been including you all in our prayers and in my family's rosary requests. (my mom wanted me to be sure to tell you that) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, your son is ridiculously adorable. I must eat his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I spent 99 days in the NICU and it sure isn't easy. I also had to stay at the Ronald McDonald house because we lived 2 hrs away from the hospital. Hang in there and keep your heads up. You have a beautiful baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such troopers! I cannot wait to see that cutie again! I love the picture of him sleeping sitting up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, Michelle & Justin!! You're in our thoughts and prayers!

    Gabe sure is a cutie! I love those big brown eyes!
    Laura Beiting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there. I know you want to get home. Hopefully they will figure out a plan for you so you can get there sooner than later. Gabe is so cute! I think it's the right thing for you to get some breaks..it will make you stronger for the long haul and when you get home. I was in for 60 days after birth. Near the end I started to read more books and do more puzzles to keep me from getting stir crazy. Praying for you and Gabe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.