Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Homeword Bound
They reviewed Gabe's sleep study and he still has severe apnea. However, he was able to keep his oxygen saturations in good range with just 1/8L of oxygen. The best treatment for his airway obstruction is CPAP. Unfortunately, the mask is too big for him and covers his eyes. So, in the interim, he will be using oxygen and then switching to CPAP when it fits him better. The oxygen will treat the oxygen desats and keep him in the 90's, however, it will not treat the apneic events themselves. This disruption in sleep may lead to neurological delays and behavior issues over time. The good news is, we know he has it and pulmonary will follow him close and get him in a CPAP mask as soon as possible. Often times with Trisomy 21 babies, it goes untreated for a long time b/c you don't even know they have it. I guess Gabe is lucky in a way to have had monitors on him for the past 2 months to detect it this early. So, with that being said, there is no reason we need to stay at the hospital...that's right...we're going home today! There's still a ton of discharge stuff and home health stuff to set up, but I'm getting excited. I actually believe them this time...we're going home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so happy you guys are able to go home! That's awesome news!! :)
ReplyDeleteBEST NEWS EVER! Now, hopefully he'll sleep through the night for you!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteSOL! (shout out loud). Yay!!
ReplyDeleteYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited for you!!
ReplyDeleteYEEEEEAAAAHHHHH! So happy for all of you!
ReplyDeleteHOOOOORRAY!!! Im so glad not to see your faces when I got to work tonight!! hehe j/k Have a great night at home with your little man!
ReplyDeleteYEAH! (-: I'm thrilled for you guys!! You and little Gabe deserve the very best! So glad all is well and that he's finally home!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Laura, Joe, and Ryan