Thursday, October 1, 2009

post op




The surgery took about 5 hours. The nurse working with Dr.Manning came out to give us updates every hour. We met with the doctor afterwards and he said everything went well. The hole in Gabe's heart was pretty massive. He was able to patch it up very easily. The valves were a little more difficult to repair and he had to go back and add another 2 stitches due to some initial leaking, but he was happy with the result. He actually came in the room smiling which is always a good sign. They will be keeping Gabe sedated till tomorrow afternoon to give him some time to heal and recover. They will try to wake him up some tomorrow and do some ventilator tests to see if they can extubate tomorrow afternoon. His blood pressure is a little high now and they are giving him so medication for it. So far, no major curve balls have been thrown. He has his PICC line, arterial line, peripheral IV, brain oxygen monitor, intubation line, chest tube, direct heart lines, and catheter. He also has pacemaker wires in place just in case, but his heart has been pacing well on its own so far. The next 2 days will be pretty critical. We should be able to tell by early next week any lung or trachea issues that are leftover if there are any low oxygen levels or work of breathing.




Special thanks to Kelly for organizing Gabe's Buddy Walk and bringing us cookies from Max and Erma's today. Go Team Cash!

9 comments:

  1. So happy to hear the good new :) You all have been in my thoughts all day. We'll keep the prayers comin'. Hugs all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that everything was a sucess. I've been praying & thinking about you all all day. We love you!

    Andrea Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that everything went well. That is great that the surgeon came out smiling...ours didn't,he looked tired and began with well...

    Praying for a good recovery now and for the next few days.{{{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS!! We are so happy and relieved for you! We'll continue to pray for a speedy recovery. Let us know if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been in our thoughts and prayers all day, and you will remain there until all are HOME! Thank you God! and thank you Dr Manning! What a gift to these children. God's blessings and strength, Missy Hail

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I want to do is just give him hugs. Relieved everything went well. Miss you guys, and can't wait to hear everyone is back home and that we can come and visit again.

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yayyyy! Great news! I'll keep thinking good thoughts and obsessively checking the blog for good updates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are soooo Welcome :) You know I wish I could do more...I love that little boy to pieces and would do anything in my power for you guys. Give him extra lovin' for me and I'll be continuing to pray for an easy extubation tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad everything went well and I will continue to pray that he recovers just fine. Looks like me and your little man have matching scars....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.