Friday, October 2, 2009

post op day 1


Today has been pretty hard. Gabe developed a fever over night and his heart rate elevated to 200. His torso is warm, but his fingers and toes are freezing. They did an ECHO and his mitral valve isn't leaking much, but they did notice that his left ventricle isn't squeezing up to par. This means that his blood isn't getting pumped out to his extremities very well and his heart rate is high to compensate for this. The fever can be fairly common post op. There isn't much that can be done for the left ventricle other than continue on the medications they're giving him and give him time to heal. He starts to wake up at times and gets mad, but that's kind of the extent. They will leave him sedated for today and hope things improve for tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, poor little guy:( I remember seeing Bennett right after surgery- it breaks your heart but he'll get better. I'm praying that Gabe's ventricle can start doing what it's supposed to do and the fever will break. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer for your sweet little man...I know it's got to be so hard to see him like that...Stay strong Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be prayinig that everything heals up just like it is suppose to. He is sure a fighter. Stay strong baby Gabe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Michelle. I know this is really hard. And all you want to do is just pick him up and run away sometimes (at least I felt like that in the CICU). I'll continue to pray for him, specifically that pesky ventricle. Micah had an exceptionally high heart rate too and the pacemaker couldn't control it, so they ended up cooling him down and eventually his heart rate was manageable for the pacemaker. These are really tough days. But I pray your days get better soon and Gabe shows some major improvement tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.