Thursday, October 15, 2009

post op day 14








Gabe is extubated! It's been about an hour and a half and he's doing pretty well on the high flow oxygen. He was wide awake and ready when they came in to pull the tube. He was almost smiling. They pulled the tube, he coughed a couple times and that was it....totally different picture from Sunday. They'll watch him closely today. They took his catheter out. They'll take the right atrial line out tomorrow. That means he'll just have monitors, tube feeds, PICC line and an arterial line and I"ll finally get to hold him. He seems so happy now. We'll still have to monitor his work of breathing and see what (if anything) needs to be done with the tracheomalacia. We need to get him off high flow oxygen. At least he's off the ventilator now.

10 comments:

  1. YEAH!!! So happy to hear this! Praying that he continues to do well off the ventilator and that the tracheomalacia issues are minimal. Can't wait to see some pics of you all holding Gabe again :) His smiles are just around the corner. And hey, if need be, vent again. We all understand and know you're just wanting what is best for your little guy. We all want the same. Hugs oo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! You have to take pictures of you getting to hold him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah that's some good news. Way to go Gabe. It sounds like he's turned the corner and is doing much better. So happy for you. I am glad you will get to hold him

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea!! I am so glad they were able to extubate him. You have every right to demand that he is only intubated with ENT using a flexscope...Do not back down! You are doing a great job at advocating for baby Gabe!Hang in there girl. Know I am thinking of you. I have thought of coming to visit but I don't want to bring my dirty PICU germs to baby Gabe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh Michelle!!! It's about time! This post and picture on your beautiful baby just made my day :) Oh I am so so so Happy to see that extubation was finally successful today. I couldn't stop thinking about his scope pictures you showed me last night and I know how angry I was, so I cant imagine what you and Justin were going through...Major step in the right direction today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock on, little dude! You're an all-star!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Kelly said; this just made my day; I can't even imagine how excited you guys are!
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEEEAAAAHHHHHH! So happy to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, God! We are so glad to hear the news. The ICU is just like a roller coaster, but each experience is a unique "ride". Luke and I pray for little Gabe, and pray that your "ride" is over soon and Gabe is resting well in your arms on the Cardiac step down unit (and out of ICU). May God Bless you and keep you very close.
    Missy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.