Sunday, October 11, 2009

set back

They pushed Gabe's extubation back till today due to his heavy secretions. They tried this morning and it was not successful and they had to reintubate. His trachea was so swollen he couldn't get air through. Found out they put a 3.5 tube down during surgery when he measured more of a 3.0 and that caused his trachea to swell. This along with the tracheomalacia was a bad combination and he couldn't ventilate. He turned purple and desated. Codes are not fun. they were able to easily reintubate and he's back on the ventilator now. The good news is his lungs are fine and his heart is fine. Now we just have the trachea and larynx to work with. They are going to do another scope tomorrow to check out the swelling. They may put in a balloon and inflate it to expand some of the tissue. They will also suck out all the secrections and scrape away some extra tissue. They are going to give him steroids to help with the swelling and hopefully try to re-extubate mid week. What a morning....

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the set back :( Poor guy. Do doubt you two were thrown by all that. Praying the trachea tissue reduces in swelling soon and that your own nerves are calmed. I'm super happy to hear that his heart and lungs are doing good. One step at a time for this little guy. Hugs oo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear about Gabe's setback. But I want to encourage you that you and Gabe will get out of there one of these days. The days are long, sometimes boring, sometimes more eventful than you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor little guy. The good new is that his lungs and heart are doing well..so yay for that. I will keep praying that the swelling goes down and that he gets some of the secreations out and that he get's extubated. This was the same for Wysdom. They tried a couple of times to extubate. Then he ended going on cpap for a good few days. He also had thick secreations that they had to suction all the time-oh how I hated that part. I will keep praying that the next couple of days get better. Sorry to hear that you had to go through the desats. Hang in there. Hopefully you can get some rest in there for yourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor guy :( This makes me sad. I tried to catch you and Justin twice tonight but failed. He was awake the second time I stopped by though and it was wonderful to see his beautiful little eyes again! I really hope everything goes well with the scope tomorrow. You know I'm pulling for you...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.